Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Project Simplify.

My dad told me a few months ago that "you are consumed by what you own."  Maybe he crafted these words by himself...or maybe he was quoting someone else...I don't know.  What I do know is that I have been thinking about that quote quite often.  Think about it...you are consumed by what you own.

These words are also resonating in my mind for other reasons.  You see, recently, my brother started a new blog based upon living simply...and as Christ wants us to live.  In his blog posts, he talks about clearing the clutter out of our lives and living in a Christian manner.  I find it all a little "funny" (but not "funny, haha" as they say) that my brother and I are half a country away, yet yearning to do the same thing.  To simplify.  To help others.  To reach out.  To improve ourselves.

Through my brother's blog posts and tweets, I have been introduced to the ways of minimalism.  I have done some reading on the idea and it is totally intriguing.  I mean, wouldn't it be nice to not have so much stuff?  To just have what you need?  To find happiness in what is truly meaningful?  And to not get caught up in wanting all the latest and greatest?  (Although I still really, really, really want an iPad.) 

Well, I think it sounds marvelous.  Enter:  "Project Simplify." 

Project what??

Project simplify.  I'm getting ridding of it.  The clutter.  The junk.  El crappo.  I'm purging, selling on EBay, donating, and trashing.  Maybe you want to do it with me?  Really.  Try throwing out that unused stuff that has been sitting around your house for the last 6 months.  It's freeing.  It's gratifying.  And it's going!

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, I am so with you! I have been doing a lot of this as well lately. You may have seen my recent FB post - "purging my way through the house in 24 hours". It felt SO gratifying! And today, I am continuing this effort. I just want to get rid of everything that has no useful value to us anymore. Let's keep each other posted... What did you throw away today? I tossed lots of empty small appliance boxes that had been taking up valuable space in my laundry closet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in!!!! love it and am inspired by your outlook.... I've been 'nesting' so this goes right along with what I'm feeling right now!
    now, if you go girl! Kira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, let's definitley motivate each other! 24 hrs?? Amazing. I'm giving myself until spring to be completely done. Ha! Today I purged bathroom cabinets. We had more medicine than Walgreens! :)

    Kira, use those hormones for good, sister! Love that "nesting" time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is it possible that I sat on a floor with you once a week and didn't REALLY get to know you? I keep reading things that make me love you even more. This post is so near and dear to my heart. I love it. And so from afar, I've been joining you for the past year (and didn't even know it). We've been doing much of the same. Oh, and I really want an ipad, too.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete