Wednesday, November 17, 2010

CHRISTMAS CAN {still} CHANGE THE WORLD.

In the past few weeks, there is one question that I've been asked quite often. I'm pretty sure you have been asked it, too. "What do you want for Christmas?"  This is a typical question this time of year. In fact, most of us are quite used to this question.  We make Christmas lists, shop the best sales, and stuff our homes with gifts for those we love. But you know what? This year is different.

This year I'm over it.

I'm done.

I'm not caving to consumerism.

This year I'm awake. Awakened. I've realized that we are rich. Okay...not "rich" in the American sense of the term. But good grief, we are rich! We are blessed with a wonderful family, friends, a safe home, a good school system, good health, food, clothing, pets, and water. I could go on and on. And truth be told...I bet you could, too.

I bet you also know that many people are not "rich."  Many people are far from it.  Many people are homeless. Hungry. Thirsty. And this is where the answer to that seasonal question lies for me this year. "What do you want for Christmas?"  My answer....

Water.

Water? Yes. Water.

Did you know that 884 million people in the world do not have access to safe water? This is roughly one in eight of the world’s population.

Did you know that the average North American uses 400 liters of water a day? And the average person in the developing world uses only 10 liters of water every day?

Did you know that households in rural Africa spend an average of 26% of their time fetching water, and it is generally women who are burdened with the task?

These facts are difficult for me to grasp. If I want water, I turn on the sink. If I want water, I buy a bottle of it at the store. It I want a hot bath, I fill the tub! I just can't imagine not having clean water...can you?

So this Christmas season, I am teaming up with Living Water International and joining their Advent Conspiracy. They believe "Christmas can {still} change the world." And you know what...so do I.

So, if you are one of those people who have asked me what I want for Christmas...and I said "nothing" or "I don't know" or "I really, really want an iPad"...well...I've changed my mind.

I want water. Won't you help me give it??

Please take 2 minutes and watch this video.  (Don't forget to scroll over and pause the blog music.)

212 Days from Living Water International on Vimeo.

And please help me give the gift of water. Even if you can't donate...please say a prayer for those who are thirsty.

Have I convinced you to help?  Please visit my fundraising page and donate now.

And if you're not comfortable donating online...no worries.  Contact me and I'll tell you how to send a check.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this post.  If you think this is good stuff...please email the info to your friends, post it on Facebook, tweet it....whatever!  Just help me spread the word.

You all rock!!!!

Photo courtesy of Living Water International.

No comments:

Post a Comment