Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kindergarten.

I am so not ready for this.  My first baby in kindergarten?  No.  I'm not ready for this at all. 

Nobody tells you how you are going to feel as a parent...I guess it's different for everyone...but for me, I can sum parenthood up in one word...emotional.

I mean, really.  The pregnancy test comes back positive...tears.  You see your baby for the very first time on the ultrasound....tears.  They smile, crawl, walk, talk....tears, tears, tears, and tears.   I guess it should come as no surprise that on Jackson's first day of kindergarten I cried most of the day.  I cried before I dropped him off, after I dropped him off...and even after he got home!  Holy freakin' cow.

Even though I wasn't ready to send my boy off  to college kindergarten, Jackson was ready.  And he loves it.  Thank goodness.

So, with every first day of kindergarten comes a "photo shoot."  Here is our big boy.  His official "first day of kindergarten" photo.
Now this next photo I call "the takeover."  Sawyer just could not understand why he wasn't going to kindergarten also.  (He is actually quite lost without his big brother at home.)  Here is a photo of Sawyer butting in the "first day of kindergarten" photos...notice he never butts out.  (And yes, he also is wearing a backpack.)
Now they're showing off their backpacks.  Notice the mandatory i.d. tag attached to Jackson's so he doesn't get lost.  (Good grief...don't think about it.)
See...they really do love each other.  And poor Sawyer (and Mommy) have no idea how their lives are about to change.  (My eyes are beginning to swell with tears as I write this....stop it, woman!)
Suddenly, Jackson got the feeling that we were going to be late and decided to run to the car.  I'm not sure why he thought we'd be late.  We're never late....ahem.
Now for the scary part.  The bus.  OMG will he get off?  Will he be driving around town all day?  Will I ever see him again?????  At this point I am physically about to puke.
Wait for it...
Ahhh...the feeling of relief in my heart that my boy safely got off the bus.  (So glad the 4th grader across the street made sure Jackson got off at the right stop!)  Look how cute he is.   So nervous.  Walking carefully to  the sidewalk.
At this point I think he is also relieved.  He sees me and starts booking it.  Mommy!!!!
Then he realized the "big boys" weren't as excited to see their moms...so he slows down.  I'm cool with that.  Because I'm a cool mom. 
Needless to say, we are just about in "the groove" now.  I just never knew how difficult this whole thing was going to be.  So...if you're a parent and your kids aren't in kindergarten yet...here's your warning:

It's not easy when your kids go to kindergarten.  Buy Kleenex.

Now...peace out, ma peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment